I don't know if you saw but the south got hit with some pretty crazy storms yesterday. My prayers are with the people of Alabama, they got hit really hard yesterday.
It all started with me waking up at 7 with temperatures in the 70's, that is never good. I took Lea to school, came home and took Evan to school, which is another whole story all together. Got back home and started watching MSNBC because I read on twitter that the President passed out his birth certificate to the press. I have MUCH to say about this but I will save it for another time. We all knew the day was going to be bad, we had warnings about it for a couple days but when you are in the thick of it...wow.
I got to the boys school at around 10am to sort through the fundraiser the PTA did. As we were handing out the Kindergarten orders the Principal came on the announcements and said we were having a disaster "drill" and all teachers needed to get the children into the hallways. This was no drill. We had our first of many tornado warnings happening. Like I said I was in the K hallway when all the little 5 year olds were brought to the hall, they were in the cafeteria eating lunch. During a disaster drill the kids kneel on the floor, up against the wall and tuck their heads down. As you can probably imagine, this is scary. As I was standing there I started hearing little ones crying and it was too much for me to handle, I started getting teary eyed as well, so I left. I went down the main hall and saw Andrew on the floor but I kept walking. I didn't want either of the boys to know I was there, I didn't want them to get upset, so I headed to the office.
The office staff was doing what they were suppose to do, getting walkie talkies together, etc. I just sat and watched the news. I look out the window though and realize, nothing is happening. The rain and the wind stopped. It was very quiet outside. That isn't good. Next thing I hear on the news is a funnel cloud was spotted in Karns. I live on the border of Karns, Powell and the city of Knoxville. As you can imagine, my heart started racing. I am with my boys but my daughter is 20 minutes away! I know she is safe, but still. 30 minutes later the kids are allowed to go back to their classrooms, the storm has passed and there was no tornado, thank God.
Flash forward to 4:00pm and another Tornado Warning. We are all at home together now so we are all downstairs in my family room. At this point there isn't much to add except that we were under a tornado warning almost continuously until 12am! When one warning would expire, another would start, these storms were just pockets of storms! The Thunder was loud. The lightning was bright. The hail was coming down and the winds were blowing hard and fast. EAS was breaking into the tv every five minutes, all night long.
Thankfully Knoxville didn't see a tornado, but the wind did some damage. Surrounding areas though got hit. I haven't watched the news yet this morning, so I don't know if there were any actual tornados but I think a few counties over had one hit, and I think the airport as well. We had record breaking rain yesterday, over 3", so flooding was an issue as well. Very scary stuff. I use to love spring, but since we have moved south I am not a fan anymore. Hopefully this is it...until next year anyway.
1 comment:
So glad you guys are ok!! That fear of not being with them in an emergency...I started to tear when reading...I sooo get that feeling!! Luv you!
Post a Comment