I have two, yes two, friends who just lost their younger brothers this weekend. I am in complete shock that this has happened twice. Both of these friends are my age!!!! One was lost to cancer, so sad. I was really great friends with her in 7th grade and then they moved to coincidentally my husbands school and he knows them as well. I feel so sad for her.
My other friend who lost her brother is one of my very best friends in the whole world. I talk about her on here a lot, Heidi. This was a complete shock about her brother and I have not been able to think about anything else but her and her family these last few days. He was the same age as my sister, 34, and it is just so heartbreaking.
I admit I really didn't know Roger that well, my two youngest sisters knew him a lot better than I, but I do have some very good memories of him. (My favorite memory of the whole family is when Heidi almost killed the two of us, and her brothers, damaged her Dad's truck and all I could do was laugh. That is my nervous laughter that comes out often, and all these years later thats what her family remembers of me. Still makes me laugh.) But what makes me feel like I knew him so well is how much Heidi loved him.
They have been through a lot over the years, stuff with Roger himself and health issues with their parents and they came out of it closer than I have ever seen a brother and sister could be. I know my friend is hurting and will miss him for the rest of her life and that makes my heart hurt for her. I know he is up in heaven watching over his family and protecting them. I know he isn't hurting anymore but I just pray that he can take the hurt away from Heidi and her family in time.
How is there a hell when I can't possibly imagine anything worse then this, burying a child, sibling, best friend?
Roger, I didn't know you well but for the rest of my life, when I read on my kindle, I will think of you fondly.
No comments:
Post a Comment