Friday, November 14, 2008

Nothing like following a fire truck to your kids school

When the sirens are blazing, to get your heart racing.

Oh wait, my heart doesn't do that anymore. :)

I left at 12:30 to get Evan because I needed to check and see if my sizzix die would work in their Ellison die cut machine, it doesn't. (This will send me on anther rampage in the future. There's your warning.) On my way there I am heading East and I can hear a fire truck, but I don't see it. As I am turning the corner, I see it coming at me, then turning down the road I need to take to the school. I was thinking to myself, I hope it's not going to the school. Yesterday was a very crappy day weather wise. It was miserable out, cold with a constant misty rain. As I turn the bend I see all the kids outside, and the fire truck turning into the school. I immediately looked at the building, and I didn't see any smoke or fire so that was a good sign.

I pull into the driveway and Evan's class was right there on the sidewalk so I rolled down my window and asked his teacher what was going on. They think that someone pulled the fire alarm. Lovely.

I parked and walked over to her. What makes this great was the the principal wasn't there today, she was at a principals meeting downtown.

I watched the firemen, in full scary gear, walk into the building. After about 5 minutes they came back out and the bell rang to signal everyone could go back in. Excellent, that didn't take long at all. No one pulled the alarm, there was a glitch.

I went in to the staff room to check and see if my die would work and I was talking to the woman that works in the room. We were both pretty aggravated that it wouldn't work, and then the secretary came on the speaker to let all the kids know that no one pulled it, it was an error in the system....BEEP BEEP BEEP, the alarms start going off again. Everyone needs to evacuate again.

Now, at this point I ask what can I do to help. I held the doors open for the kids and then realized that it is now time for KG dismissal so all the parents in their cars are starting to line up in the car line. The principal also showed up at this point so I headed down to the car line and informed the acting principal that I was going to talk to the parents and let them know not to panic and that it would be a few minutes before the KG's could leave. So I go do that. Everyone was great.

Firetruck comes back to check the building again, and to check for carbon monoxide. We get the all clear again, and now the alarm company needs to come and find out what was going on.

That's where the story ends. When I get the final scoop I will let you all know.

Today I am back to counting box tops, and I need to go to the school at 12:00 for the popcorn party that Evan's class won. Hopefully there won't be any excitement today.

No comments: