Sunday, April 14, 2013

Once again, it's been awhile

And a lot has happened!

Once the paper came out, I became pretty popular, and not in a good way.  There were a few people that weren't very happy with me.  Too bad.

Not much changed though. People began looking into how to fix this but nothing really happened.  We had our fundraiser at Papa Murphy's and we raised about $260.  No where near what we needed but it my opinion it was pretty successful.  What was very disappointing, and something that I still haven't gotten over, was that only 3 staff members from the school supported us.  THREE.  How sad is that?

That day the reporter who did the story about me and the school walked into the school and no one stopped her.  She made my point for me that officers are not the only thing the schools need, we have 2.  It wasn't that they weren't doing there job, they were, in another part of the building, but she was still able to walk right in and could have gone down 2 hallways and no one would have known.  Great right?  I got blamed for it.  The one officer told anyone who would listen that I sent the reporter in.  I didn't know she was doing that. I didn't know until I saw pictures of my sons school on twitter.  To say I was pissed would have been an understatement.  Then to have no support from my sons school, that was the icing on the cake for me.  It was a bad time.

Because the reporter posted the pics on twitter, though she never said the school, she was told she could not report the story any longer.  I was devastated.  She was my ticket to getting the locks on the doors.  What was I going to do now?

About a week later a friend of mine, who just happens to be a meteorologist on one of the local news channels, contacted me because they wanted to do a story on our fundraiser, so she gave my name to the reporter. I did not want to be on TV, I really wanted to keep my name and my face separate, but she told me to suck it up. Haha.  I got out of work and he called me wanting to meet me at my house. I begged him to give me 20 minutes to get "presentable" and he did.  That night the new Pope was announced, those darn Catholics (I am Catholic btw), so the story got bumped till the next evening. 

It looks like they pulled the video, but here is the story, http://www.wate.com/story/21646241/pta-leader-raises-own-money-for-school-security . 

On March 20th and 21st the locks were installed and on March 22nd, the doors were locked!!!!  The PTSA did not pay for them, the school system did.

On March 21st the superintendent had his budget forum at my sons school and I attended.  The woman who sat next to me asked me if I was a teacher because I looked so familiar.  Haha.  I told her I had recently been on the news and she immediately said, "You're the NMS PTA President." Yes, yes I am.

After the meeting I decided it was the right thing to do so I went up to the superintendent and introduced myself.  Until the day I die I will never forget the look of recognition on his face when I said, my name is Jennifer Nagel.  :) 

This was a long, hard road.  I cried many nights. Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat.  I did this for my child. I wanted him and his teachers to feel safe. 







No comments: