Saturday, March 27, 2010

Its been awhile

I have been running/working out though, I just really haven't felt like writing about it. I am at the 20 lb mark on my weight loss, which I am very happy with.

I have recently become very passionate about what my kids are eating. For the last few weeks I have been going to Earth Fare and buying groceries there and this week I took a ride out to the Super Target, which is becoming my new favorite grocery store. They aren't great for produce but for everything else....wow. Just as an example, I bought jarred pomodoro sauce, and it had nothing but good things in the ingredient list. My 6 year old could read the ingredients without a problem!!!! YEAH!!!! I also bought General Tso's sauce for chicken, and guess what, it had no HFCS in it! WOOHOO!!!!

So, since I have been on a getting my kids to eat healthy kick, I was thrilled to see that Jamie Oliver had a new show out on ABC. I love Jamie Oliver. I think he is an amazing fresh vegetable cook. I used to love watching his show on Food Network, the Naked Chef, even though I did have a hard time understanding him sometimes. (It's not just him though, I generally struggle with accents from anywhere.)

If you didn't catch last nights episodes of Food Revolution, find it on Hulu, or ABC.com. It is downright scary what our children are eating.

For the last 2 years I have packed my kids lunches, in make shift bento boxes. I am getting my kids to eat somewhat healthy and saving the environment from plastic baggies all at the same time. People have made comment to me about their lunches and how they are adorable, or that I am crazy, but you know what? They eat what I pack for them and it makes me feel really good.

So, in my quest to make sure my kids are eating healthy I have been doing some research lately. Here are a few amazing articles all parents should read...

Fed up with school lunch. This is a blog written by a teacher who eats the school lunch everyday. Its very interesting.

Earth Fare. Like I said earlier, Earth Fare is my new favorite grocery store. If you have one in your area, sign up for their mailing list, they have awesome coupons. This link will take you to an article they recently wrote on their blog. Everyone knows fast food is bad for you, but its healthier then school lunches????? That is scary.

Now the most important link. Jamie Oliver's petition. Please, please sign it. We, as Moms and Dads, Aunt's and Uncle's, Grandmas and Grandpas, need to protect todays children. They deserve to eat healthy food at school!!!!!

Those of you that have blogs, I challenge you to add Jamie's petition to your blog. We can do something about this if we all stand together!

2 comments:

Wendy @RunningonMTT said...

Jennifer - great to hear from you and I totally agree 100% on that show and being passionate about it. I too have changed the way we all eat in the past year and what a difference!!!

I will def. add it to my blog, I will do a write up on it tomorrow or Monday and add the info!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your weightloss - that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Now don't be a stranger! :O)

Tasha said...

ok I totally agree and want your help! I want to start packing zacks lunch and MINE and want it healthy! and those cute lil things you pack them in are awesome... lol..suggestions please :)